The history of the Hôtel-Dieu hospital began during the XIIth century. The current building was erected by Jacques-Germain Soufflot (see also the "loge du Change" in Lyon) during the XVIIIth century in a neo-classic style. The 380 meters long buiding lays on the bank of the Rhône river in the center of Lyon.
The dome destroyed in 1944 was rebuild according to the original design. Originally that dome was a chapel used by the sick people.